Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Quest for Pumpkin

Dear Reader,

I made pumpkin cupcakes a few weeks ago. They looked a little something like this:



Whenever I eat pumpkin cupcakes a get nostalgic about London (Natalie, you know what I'm talking about) and a certain cupcake shop named Hummingbird Bakery.

As I'm sure most of you remember, I went to London in the fall. And as most of you are probably aware, pumpkin is a popular food to eat during that particular season.

Except, apparently, in London. And I found this out the hard way.

Natalie and I searched all over the city and found nothing. NOTHING. I almost doubted London's being the greatest city of all time, but I got a hold of myself before things got too out of hand.

[I should make the disclaimer that there were pumpkin pie type things (very rare, but we found them once or twice), but we were jonesing for pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin cupcakes, or something of that nature.]

So for two months we looked in every bakery and food stand we walked past--but to no avail. We had pretty much lost all hope until, on the second to last day in London, Natalie was inspired to stop by Hummingbird Bakery on Portobello Road. Pumpkin cupcakes were the cupcake of the day. Was it fate? I think so. Needless to say, she bought one and shared it with me, and there was much rejoicing. This is kind of what that looked like:



We were clearly all about the product placement.


Natalie also got a red velvet cupcake. That's the one on the right. A very good choice.


This is it. The coveted pumpkin cupcake. It's so beautiful.






It was totally worth the wait.

The cupcakes I made last month were no where near as magical as the London cupcake, but I'm gonna say that's because I didn't have to wait 2 months to eat them.

P.S. Before you get confused and think that I'm good at photography, Natalie took the Hummingbird cupcake pictures. (Well...except for the one of her. I took that.)

4 comments:

  1. You're pumpkin cupcakes were fantastic, but I didn't have the hummingbird one so I can't compare them.

    p.s. I have a photo of you with secret toast that looks spooky similar to your cupcake one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, maybe I should get it from you so I can make a secret toast post...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post on so many levels. Pumpkin party when I get back?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes please! I already have a can of pumpkin we can use!

    ReplyDelete